Friday 25 September 2015


Chipanga Delivers 10 Levels of Goodness


Charles Chipanga PIC: COURTESY OF CHARLES CHIPANGA Charles Chipanga
Renowned marimba player and vocalist, Charles Chipanga of Chalenam Rhythms, has dropped a brand new 10 track album titled ‘Goodness’.
Filled with various African traditional instruments such as the marimba and the ngoma (drum), blended well with pianos and guitars, the ultimate sound is a very unique afro-fusion groove that is arguably the first of its kind locally, in gospel circles.
In the album, Chipanga addresses various issues that Christians are faced with on a daily basis.
“The album was released on September 1 and it has ten different tracks that carry hope and speak about the goodness of God,” said Chipanga.
“On this album I obviously worked with my wife, but this time she was mainly on the backing vocalist side and I was doing most of the lead vocals. However, there is a track titled ‘NdezvaMwari’ on which I collaborated with Pastor Charles Charamba.”
Speaking on why it took him two years to drop this new project he said, “It took me a complete two years to deliver this album and the reason it took so long was because I was looking for something different. I want to always give the audience something to look forward to musically in an album, though maintaining my identity in each project. I also consider the message I want to tell. There are various angles I can use to push the theme for a particular project. So all these factors take time to get right, hence the lengthy time period before I dropped my new offering.”
Tracks such as ‘Mututu’ and ‘Ruregerero’ have a cool percussive jazz feel with a katekwe groove that soothes the soul whilst teaching the listener that God is the healer, and that forgiveness is fundamental in one’s life, respectively.
“I believe in making collector stuff, I am not really keen on making hits. It’s been a difficult road.  It is not for instant glory, but I am patient. I want to make a lasting sound, not to be a one hit wonder artist,” responded Charles when asked how people have been appreciating his jazz sound considering the minority following it has in the country.
Speaking on marketing, “The music is available online. We are also pushing it through vendors. At times what pushes piracy is greater demand and poor supply. So we have made the project available in all stores and we believe though we cannot stop piracy we can reap something by playing our part.
Chipanga also spoke on his upcoming gigs to promote the album that will be officially launched at 99 Park Lane on October 23, 2015.

“We are going to have a Goodness tour in Zambia, Malawi and obviously in Zimbabwe,” revealed Charles.

No comments:

Post a Comment